War ethics ‘n’ rules in Islam..
Without any foreword, I’ld like to draw your attention into the Islamic war rules and ethics to be observed during a war..This post is not an exhaustive one..I am only trying to share what I know..Pls make your own conclusions after reading the post and tell me whether what you see around is islamic terrorism or is it their own version of terrorism..
Islam is a way of life and lays down messages regarding every aspect of life.It is a fact that given the nature of man ,there wouldn’t be a world without any wars. Rules regarding war are based on Quran and Hadiths. As far as I understand it, Islamic rules are in line with the international rules ,and the basic message in all rules is to ensure justice and order.
The true follower of Islam do not wish to hurt people; they want peace, not war. However, God tells us it is a high form of charity to fight in the cause of truth, against cruelty and oppression.
- Quran 2:216″Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you. “
Islam allows war in cases of
- (Qur’an 22:39) To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid
2. To protect those who have been removed from their homes by force because they are Muslims
- (Qur’an 22:40), Those who have been driven from their homes unjustly only because they said: Our Lord is Allah – For had it not been for Allah’s repelling some men by means of others, cloisters and churches and oratories and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is oft mentioned, would assuredly have been pulled down. Verily Allah helpeth one who helpeth Him. Lo! Allah is Strong, Almighty
3. To protect the innocent who are being oppressed
- (Qur’an 4:75). How should ye not fight for the cause of Allah and of the feeble among men and of the women and the children who are crying: Our Lord! Bring us forth from out this town of which the people are oppressors! Oh, give us from thy presence some protecting friend! Oh, give us from Thy presence some defender!
Islam upholds sanctity of human life, as the Qur’an declares that killing one innocent human being is like killing the entire human race
- Quran 5:32 For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind
- Quran 6:151 “..and that ye slay not your children because of penury – We provide for you and for them – and that ye draw not nigh to lewd things whether open or concealed. And that ye slay not the life which Allah hath made sacred, save in the course of justice. This He hath command you, in order that ye may discern
- Quran 17:33 And slay not the life which Allah hath forbidden save with right. Whoso is slain wrongfully, We have given power unto his heir, but let him not commit excess in slaying. Lo! he will be helped.
- Quran 2:190 Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
The basic principle in war is that ‘enemies’ should be treated as fellow human beings .Fighting should be stopped immediately when the situation or circumstances of cause cease to exist.i.e,there is no permission to attack someone who ceases to attack you
- Quran 2:192 “But if they cease [attacking you], Allah is oft-forgiving, most merciful.”
Muslims have been prohibited from opening hostilities against their enemies without properly declaring war against them, unless, of course, the adversary has already started the aggression.
- Quran (8:58) “And if thou fearest treachery from any folk, then throw back to them (their treaty) fairly. Lo! Allah loveth not the treacherous. “
Though war is prescribed when required, the principle of forgiveness is given more stress. For instance, if an enemy surrender, he should not be killed ,instead, it is the duty of muslim army to take him to a shelter for safety.
- Quran (9:06) And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of Allah, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.
The practices during Prophet(pbuh) were summarized by his companion,Abubaker,in the form of ten rules for muslim Army.
“ Stop, O people, that I may give you ten rules for your guidance in the battlefield. Do not commit treachery or deviate from the right path. You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees, nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful. Slay not any of the enemy’s flock, save for your food. You are likely to pass by people who have devoted their lives to monastic services; leave them alone. ”
Islam has drawn a clear distinction between combatants and non-combatants in any enemy country. As far as the non-combatant population is concerned ,the instructions of the Prophet are as follows: “Do not kill any old person, any child or any woman” (AbuDawood). “Do not kill the monks in monasteries” and “Do not kill the people who are sitting in places of worship” (Musnad of Ibn Hanbal).
- Quran 4:29 O ye who believe! Squander not your wealth among yourselves in vanity, except it be a trade by mutual consent, and kill not one another. Lo! Allah is ever Merciful unto you
Torturing the enemy, and burning the combatants alive is strictly prohibited. Punishment by fire does not behoove anyone except the Master of the Fire” (AbuDawood).
The mutilation of dead bodies is also prohibited. : “The Prophet has prohibited us from mutilating the corpses of the enemies” (Bukhari, AbuDawood). The occasion on which this order was given is highly instructive. In the battle of Uhud the disbelievers mutilated the bodies of the Muslims who had fallen on the battlefield by cutting off their ears and noses and threading them together to put round their necks as trophies of war. The stomach of Hamza, the uncle of the Prophet, was ripped open by the Quraysh and his liver was taken out and chewed by Hinda, the wife of AbuSufyan, the leader of the Makkan army. The Muslims were naturally enraged by this horrible sight. But the Prophet asked his followers not to mete out similar treatment to the dead bodies of the enemies.
Harming civilian areas and pillaging residential areas is also forbidden,as is the destruction of trees, crops, livestock and farmlands. Also,the Prophet has prohibited the killing of anyone who is tied or is in captivity.
Muslims have been instructed by the Prophet not to pillage or plunder or destroy residential areas, nor harm the property of anyone not fighting. “The Prophet has prohibited the Believers from loot and plunder” (Bukhari, AbuDawood). His injunction is: “The loot is no more lawful than the carrion” (AbuDawood). AbuBakr Siddeeq used to tell soldiers on their way to war: “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.”
Booty of war from the battleground is altogether different. It consists of the wealth, provisions and equipment captured from the camps and military headquarters of the combatant armies and may legitimately be appropriated.
Treat corpse with dignity :In the battle of Ahzab a renowned enemy warrior was killed and his body fell into the trench which the Muslims had dug for the defence of Madina. The unbelievers presented ten thousand Dinars to the Prophet and requested that the dead body of their fallen warrior be handed over to them. The Prophet replied: “I do not sell dead bodies. You can take away the corpse of your fallen comrade.”
This post is not a well articulated one..I hope to improvise it..I need to stop now as its been lot of time I’ve been spending on the references..Im feeling very sick..Pls drop your comments..Is this what you see around? Obviously not..So,it means that what you see around is not ‘Islamic jihad’ but plain terrorism,terrorism by sick evil people..If we continue blaming each other for the causes,they will win ,making life more hell..God bless..