“How do you, as Muslim, see me and others like me in the light of the teachings of the Qur’an?”
My first question to you:
I am a non-Muslim. I do not see the Qur’an as the revealed word of God. In fact, I don’t subscribe to the idea of a God separate from myself at all. How do you, as Muslim, see me and others like me in the light of the teachings of the Qur’an? And I want your honest opinion, not something some Islamic scholar has written.
I hardly copy paste from some random website..I copy paste only when I feel that the intended message is better conveyed by somebody else and I provide links too. I don’t think that is a crime..
To me,religion is a personal business.I don’t believe in knocking others doors and preaching them.If they are happy with their current state of spiritualily,I am none to go and give them lecture on my religion..On the other side,if they have problems with their own spirituality,they will search for truth(a subjective term) and sharing views with them is a pleasure..But I don’t think I have reached that level,as to answer or assist them..This is my first attempt..Pls bear with me..
As for the first part of the question,there is no complusion that you believe that Quran is from Allah or is it a handwork of Prophet(pbuh).The Quran is written in beautiful prose that continues to be marveled at by the experts of the Arabic language. But it is not merely a literary masterpiece. The Quran contains scientific facts and explanations that fascinate scientists of all fields. But it is not an encyclopedia of science. The Quran mentions stories of people and places in the past with vivid detail. But it is not merely a book of history. Quran is from Allah and we muslims believe so due to solid reasons..
How do we know that a revelation like the Qur’an is the word of God?
The criteria for truth can be easily understood by all:-
1.RATIONAL TEACHINGS: Since God bestowed reason and intellect on mankind, it is our duty to use it to distinguish truth from falsehood. True undistorted revelation from God must be rational and can be reasoned out by all unbiased minds.
2. PERFECTION: Since God is all perfect, His revelation must be perfect and accurate, free from mistakes, omissions, interpolations and multiplicity of versions. It should be free from contradictions in its narration.
3. NO MYTHS OR SUPERSTITIONS: True revelation from God is free from myths or superstitions that degrade the dignity of God or man.
4. SCIENTIFIC: Since God is the Creator of all knowledge, true revelation is scientific and can with-stand the challenge of science at alltimes.
5. PROPHECY: God is the Knower of the past, present and future. Thus His word of prophecies in His revelation will be fulfilled as prophesied.
6. INIMITABLE BY MAN: True revelation from God is infallible and cannot be imitated by man. God’s true revelation is a living miracle, an open Book challenging all mankind to see and prove for themselves.
The question of whether Quran satisfies the above criteria is to be answered in an individual level and every human being is entitiled to have their own opinions..and I respect your opinion,but you too need to respect my choice to belive in what I feel right.Isn’t that what we call a free world?
For the second part of the question,since we are talking about Quran,i’ll have to give a Quranic answer.Also,my answer may not be exhaustive..
My faith tells me to treat every human in this world with justice and kindnes,without any discrimination
- 4:135 O ye who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.
- 5:8 O you who believe! Be upright for Allah, bearers of witness with justice, and let not hatred of a people incite you not to act equitably; act equitably, that is nearer to piety, and he careful of (your duty to) Allah; surely Allah is Aware of what you do.
60:8 (God does not forbid you to turn in friendship towards) for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably.
60:9 God only forbids you to turn in friendship towards such as fight against you because of [your] faith, and drive you forth from your homelands, or aid [others] in driving you forth: and as for those [from among you] who turn towards them in friendship; it is they, they who are truly wrongdoers!
My faith tells me not to argue with others on lame arguments as ‘My God is best,your God false’ bla bla bla
- 2:139 “Do you argue with us about GOD, when He is our Lord and your Lord? We are responsible for our deeds, and you are responsible for your deeds. To Him alone we are devoted.
There are many verses telling me how to deal with non muslims
- 3:64 Say: O People of the Scripture! Come to an agreement between us and you: that we shall worship none but Allah, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside Allah. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him).
- 29:46 Do not argue with the people of the scripture except in the nicest possible manner and say, “We believe in what was revealed to us and in what was revealed to you, and our god and your god is one and the same; to Him we are submitters.”
- 9:6 And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of Allah, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.
- 22:67 To every People have We appointed rites and ceremonies which they must follow: let them not then dispute with thee on the matter, but do thou invite (them) to thy Lord: for thou art assuredly on the Right Way
No muslim,even the Prophet has the right to compel somebody to believe in Islam.
- 2:256 Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects Taghut (evil) and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trust worthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
- 88:24 And so, (O Prophet!) exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe.
- 24:54 “Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger: but if ye turn away, he is only responsible for the duty placed on him and ye for that placed on you. If ye obey him, ye shall be on right guidance. The Messenger’s duty is only to preach the clear (Message).
Allah Almighty will admit to Paradise those whom He loves because of their righteous work and belief:
- “O mankind! [This includes all races and all nations] We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other. Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well-acquainted. (The Noble Quran, 49:13)”
Hadiths tell me to deal with non muslims,with justice and fairness..
- “He who believes in God and the Last Day should honour his guest, should not harm his neighbour, should speak good or keep quiet.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
- “Whoever hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state hurts me, and he who hurts me annoys God.” (Bukhari)
- “He who hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state, I am his adversary, and I shall be his adversary on the Day of a Judgement.” (Bukhari)
- “Beware on the Day of Judgement; I shall mysefl be complainant against him who wrongs a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state or lays on him a responsibility greater than he can bear or deprives him of anything that belongs to him.” (Al-Mawardi)
- “Anyone who kills a Non-Muslim who had become our ally will not smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Bukhari)
P.S :I am feeling very uneasy using terms muslims,non muslims ,you,me, etc etc..At times I feel religion creates more of divisions..grr..And thats why I don’t take religion too serious..But then again,my faith is absolute..Err,is that contradictory ? ***scratches head***