Sexual Harassment in workplace-Is ‘provocative dressing’ a causative factor?
Before you start tearing me apart,read the post till the end 🙂
My HRM professor ,in his study material provided to us,says :
It was in 1997 in Vishaka Vs. State of Rajasthan and others, that for the first time sexual harassment had been explicitly- legally defined as an unwelcome sexual gesture or behaviour whether directly or indirectly as
- 1. Sexually coloured remarks
- 2. Physical contact and advances
- 3. Showing pornography
- 4. A demand or request for sexual favours
- 5. Any other unwelcome physical, verbal/non-verbal conduct being sexual in nature.
He says that “Body hugging and body revealing dresses” is one of the cause for sexual harassment in workplace.
He list the remedies for SHIW(Sexual Harassment in workplace)
- Dress appropriately : Avoid skirts,see-through blouses,tight jeans and open shirt
- Watch what you say -Don’t speak and joke as you (men) always had,while women are in the group
- Watch your body language:Women should not toss their hair,stare straight into a man’s eyes ,glance sideways and then demurely dropping eyes,rub arms,smile ,touch a man and repeatedly cross ad uncross legs in front of men,because these will send a wrong signal to men about you.
- Learn the message that females in the workplace are co-workers first,women second and never a sex-partner in the workplace
- Ask a potential harasser,” how much you love your spouse?”
- Display photos of your spouse and kids to the potential harasser
- Know the risk of romance-can wreck the marriage and the career
- Treat others the way you would like them to treat you.
- Protect the secrecy of the identity of the victim
- Restrict/prevent circulation on obsence literatures,films ,photos etc…
The professor is a good person, a qualified teacher with more than one Phd’s and is working as a teacher since 20+years..While lecturing and during other sessions,I have always noticed that he speaks in favour of women and women empowerment and always urge us to make HR policies in favour of women employees,wherever we get employed in future..
That said,I initially wondered why he said that dressing is a factor of SHIW.And the third points makes me wonder and embarrassed wondering to how many have I already sent ‘that’ message. I initiated a discussion among students,my friends,who are enough and more academically qualified fellows.ALL of them,mainly women, shared the opinion that provocative dressing is a factor for SHIW. I wondered why I get the opposite view when the same discussion is conducted in blogworld.Why is it that real-world and virtual-world contradict each other?Who is pretending ? Is it the real-world-ers who pretend who agree with the normal norm of thinking ,even if they think otherwise,or is it the virtual-world-ers who hide their real mind and lie,in order to get along with the majority group,who think the progressive way? The difference is so huge,that in real-time discussion nobody disagrees that dress is a provocative factor,whereas,in e-world nobody agrees so. Its not just once,but again and again,that I have a feeling that one of the group is pretending or having closed-eyes to a real-life situation..So,there goes a poll,an anonymous poll. Go ahead and cast your choice.I am not bothered about ‘Who” but is bothered about “What”..Please cooperate.. Not a big deal of a question,but I would like to know how contradictory different group of people are..
p.s: Poll questions are not random-borne,but assimilated from some research studies,of which the detalis will be provided later(in case anybody is interested) 🙂
Good day to all.
Related reading :