Biryani had always been my all-time,any-time favorite..hmm..the smell of hot biriyani…hmm..makes me drool even at midnight.
Biryani is the easiest ‘rich’ food one can make.Of course,it needs some time.But its worth.Almost all ingredients required will be found in your kitchen cupborad..Also,when lot of vegetables are included,that too when the dish is prepared using very less oil or ghee,we can be assured that our diet is under control.Great as a lunch pack,appelaing for kids,great for using leftover vegetables..hmm,biryani is a budget food,isn’t it?OK,Now lets stop blabbering and start making biriyani in no time..
Assorted vegetables-2 cups
Garam masala- 1 tspn
Turmeric powder-1/2 tspn
Chilly powder-1/2 tspn
Coriander powder-1-1 1/4 tspn
Green chillies-5-8 (as hot as you like it)
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Cashew nuts soaked in water-4-6
Mint leaves-1/4 cup
Coriander leaves-1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Basmati Rice- 2 cups
In a mixer,fine grind coconut and cashew nuts.
Heat oil in a pan and add cut onions.When they turn golden brown,add ginger-garlic (crushed or paste).Saute for few minutes until the raw smell is gone or until they start turning brown.Now add split green chillies.Add vegetables.Add coconut -cashew paste and saute for few minutes until the gravy thickens and the raw smell of coconut is gone.Now add all spices-garam masala,turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder.Saute again for 2-3minutes.Now add diced tomatoes,curd,coriander leaves and mint leaves.Keep stirring carefully.Add salt according to taste.Add 3 1/2 cups of water.When it comes to boil,add washed basmati rice and cook on low heat.Add little ghee and serve hot with curd salad and Pappad..mmm…Pickle too is unavoidable..
- We can use any vegetables that are not soggy or sticky-Use carrot,peas,potatoes,culiflower,cabbage,beans.
- If you want a funky coloured biriyani,go ahead and add beetroot;-)
- To avoid basmati rice from sticking to each other,you can roast it for few minutes in another pan,adding little ghee.Alternatively(a simpler solution) add little lemon juice to the boiling water.
- This is a quick version.Authentic biriyani requires you to use whole dry spices and not simply garam masala.and we cook rice seperately and later add to cooked gravy.
- To make this a non-veg dish,add some cooked or fried chicken pieces.
- You can add raisins and cashew nuts while sauting oinions(again a simpler alternative instead of roasting them seperately and adding to rice.
- Though compromising on cooking time may not yeild a dish as tasty as it ought to be,I can guarentee you that this one is as tasty as any other dum biriyani..
Give a try and enjoy!!