Its Ramadan time and Muslims all over the world have started fasting as to reap as much blessings as possible. To me , Ramadan is a time to have a look back; what I was and what I had been during the last year, and it is time for seeking forgiveness .To me, Ramadan is to abstain from acts, what Allah forbid and to fast in patience. To me , Ramadan is time to understand what a glass of water means and what a handful of rice is worth. To me, Ramadan to time to know how less fortunate people are going through, while they work with hungry stomach and it is time for me to appreciate all those blessings given by God.
- Quran 2:185: The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desire for you ease; He desire not hardship for you; and (He desire) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful.
- 2:183 O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil);
- 2:184 (Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need – but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know-]
- 2:186 When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he called on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.
- 2:187 Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are your garments and ye are their garments. Allah knoweth what ye used to do secretly among yourselves; but He turned to you and forgave you; so now associate with them, and seek what Allah Hath ordained for you, and eat and drink, until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct from its black thread; then complete your fast Till the night appears; but do not associate with your wives while ye are in retreat in the mosques. Those are Limits (set by) Allah: Approach not nigh thereto. Thus doth Allah make clear His Signs to men: that they may learn self-restraint.
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Islam uses a lunar calendar, i.e. each month begins with the sighting of the new moon. Because the lunar calendar is about 11 days shorter than the solar calendar used elsewhere, Islamic holidays vary each year.It is during the month of Ramadan, Allah revealed the first verses of the Quran.
Lately, while I was talking to a dear of mine,when I said “Its Ramadan”,there came as instant reply,”Wow,you are gonna have a feast for a whole month”..Lol..That is true to a great extent.In fact women of the house have to spent more time in kitchen during Ramadan,than during other months of the year..Strange..Most of us are fasting,dreaming whole day,”What all items am I going to eat at dusk”?? I have experienced that such dreams helps in regaining strength and feel less tired whole day.On the contrary,I feel it requires great patience and self restrain to fast ,even when you have food in front of your eyes.. I feel sad what people, who have no chance to dream, will feel when they are hungry. They have nothing to look forward, maybe atmost a glass of milk or a plate of pulav is what a feast is to them..Is it that way for most of us?
Live Ramadan the Islamic way. Eat in moderate..
- 7:31 O Children of Adam! wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for Allah loveth not the wasters.
Some people have the habit of spitting around all day.I don’t intend to mock them, because they are doing so out of faith..But they are misinformed. There is nothing wrong with swallowing saliva while you are fasting. To say that you have to spit is wrong. It is extremism and just plain disgusting. Can you imagine the streets of Cairo or Madina if this was Islamic? There’d be no dry place to walk!Just in case if anybody is interested in the rule related:
Does Swallowing Our Own Saliva Invalidate the Fasting?
Allah says in the Qur’an,(Eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct from the black thread of dawn (until the appearance of true dawn).) (Al-Baqarah 2: 187) So we are told to abstain from food and drink while fasting. As Imam Ibn Hazm has rightly pointed out, humankind does not consider things such as swallowing one’s saliva, rinsing the mouth or answering the call of nature as akin to eating and drinking.
Also,I have heard and seen people complaining/boasting about not brushing teeth during Ramadan.There is no such a thing as “don’t brush your teeth while fasting”. Miswak is an ancient tooth brush. If miswak is allowed then so is tooth brush. It is absolutely fine to brush one’s teeth in the morning with toothpaste while fasting so long as one takes care not to swallow the paste. It is reported in the traditions that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was seen brushing his teeth quite a number of times during the day while he was fasting.
When Allah Almighty knows your innermost thoughts/Niyyah,then why would your Fast be nullified due to toothpaste ?Now they would reason because of the taste, what does taste have to do with oral hygiene !You may brush your teeth, as miswak also have taste..Miswak and tooth paste both have same function and that is to CLEAN YOUR MOUTH, to kill bad breath, to clean teeth, it is nothing but cleanliness, and Allah Likes Cleanliness.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) warned us against rigidity: “Woe to those who practice rigidity; woe to those who practice rigidity; woe to those who practice rigidity.” (Reported by Muslim) !!! When someone tells you something is permitted or forbidden, you can ask him or her to bring the proof. It is a VERY serious thing to add anything to the religion or take it away. Such people have a very hard time fasting and would become dehydrated more quickly and perhaps abandon thier fast. Then the person who gave you this misinformation would bear part of the sin.
Let us make use of this holy month as to have a new start,recharge our batteries of life and move forward for a better tomorrow.May Allah bless all people out there.
Volume 3, Book 31, Number 154:
Narrated Abu Huraira:The Prophet said, “If somebody eats or drinks forgetfully then he should complete his fast, for what he has eaten or drunk, has been given to him by Allah.” Narrated ‘Amir bin Rabi’a, “I saw the Prophet cleaning his teeth with Siwak while he was fasting so many times as I can’t count.” And narrated Abu Huraira, “The Prophet said, ‘But for my fear that it would be hard for my followers, I would have ordered them to clean their teeth with Siwak on every performance of ablution.” The same is narrated by Jabir and Zaid bin Khalid from the Prophet who did not differentiate between a fasting and a nonfasting person in this respect (using Siwak).
Aisha said, “The Prophet said, “It (i.e. Siwak) is a purification for the mouth and it is a way of seeking Allah’s pleasures.” Ata’ and Qatada said, “There is no harm in swallowing the resultant saliva.”
A post that I wrote 2 yrs back..Happy Ramadan to all..May Allah spread happiness and peace to all people in this world..amen…