Moringa Oleifera,considered one of the world’s most useful trees,as almost every part of the Moringa tree can be used for food or has some other beneficial property.It is a good source of calcium and phosphorous.Did you know that Moringa is used as a tropical treatment for minor infections ,and it is a good source of antioxidants,anti-inflammatory,anti-aging compounds and many benefits related to cardiovascular,endocrine,including improved sleep,mental clarity,wound healing,digestion,and many more benefits..
To convey the goodness of Moringa in few words,its leaves in particular, ,see below
- It has 7 times the vitamic C of Oranges
- It has 4 times the Calcium of Milk
- It has 4 times the vitamin A of Carrots
- It has 3 times Potassium of Banana
- It has 2 times Protein of Yogurt
- It has .75 times Iron of Spinach
Wow,now that makes Moringa a “highly recommended” vegetable.
We do consume Moringa as included in Sambar and like dishes.But here is an exclusively-Moringa dish.Very easy to make,great taste and bunch of nutrients in a small serving.(If you think that I am too assertive or over-enthusiastic about nutrients in each recipe,well,its mainly because we have lot of fried items and non-veg in our diet.So I consider it very essential to know “what am I eating today”,beyond the name alone,especially when I have a baby in my home and it is very necessary to include all vitamins and nutrients in her diet.Health is wealth.No money or luxury can replace it.Unless you have good health,not any person or any worldly stuff will come to use.By eating healthy,you are investing in yourself,for a better tomorrow,for yourself and for dear ones around you.Isn’t it so?
Grated coconut-1 cup
Small onions-4-5 nos
Ginger-very small piece
Garlic-1 small piece
Curry leaves-1 stalk
Green chilly-2-4 nos
Clean Moringa pods,and cook adding salt,a pinch of turmeric powder ,salt and a cup of water. Remove from heat when cooked half-way.Coarse grind all the rest of ingredients.Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.Add the coconut mixture,add half-cooked pods along with water remaining in it(this is done to allow the coconut-mixture flavour to enter into the pods).Now check for salt and cook until pods are tender and the dish becomes dry.Keep stirring carefully.Serve hot!!
- You can add fennel seeds to the grounded mixture if you prefer.
- You can avoid garlic,but remember, it helps in digestion.
- Pods can be cooked by adding them directly into pan after spluttering mustatd seeds and adding coconut-mixture.Take care while adding water as not to break pods and end up in a messy dish.
- The same recipe is used to cook Moringa leaves.Just cook leaves and mixutre together.No pre-cooking as in case of pods.